I think the fact that the programme is football-based is key to its success. It offers exciting material and grabs the attention of pupils who enjoy football but have built up barriers to reading.*
Are you looking for ways to motivate your Year 7 and 8 students?
Skills Academy is our brand new reading intervention for students who are struggling to reach expected levels.Built on the success of Premier League Reading Stars, we use the exciting world of freestyle football as a way to improve core reading comprehension skills.
- Links directly to national curriculum
- High quality, easy-to-use lesson plans and interactive website
- Focuses on the five core reading comprehension skills of questioning, clarifying, summarising, predicting and inference and provides a vocabulary builder
- Appropriate for schools, libraries, after school clubs and non-traditional education settings
Cost: £300 per school, including a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust Network. Existing members receive a £50 discount per school (see below).
National Literacy Trust Network member discount: please enter the first three letters of your membership number, which you can find in your profile. Your membership must be current for the discount to apply.
Your target group will improve their:
- reading comprehension skills and confidence
- enjoyment, confidence and frequency of reading
- attitudes towards reading which research shows is positively linked to ability
We also expect the programme to have a positive impact on behaviour, attendance, confidence, and social skills.
Schools will receive:
- exclusive clips from two of the of the UK’s best freestyle footballers showing you how to do some amazing tricks
- one year's access to our Skills Academy microsite which includes all programme content as well as pupil-facing comprehension challenges and rewards
- one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust Network**
- a set of 10 curriculum linked lesson plans and guidance notes. Download a sample lesson pack here
- engagement tools including motivational posters and set of stickers
- 20 free books - Keeper by Mal Peet to be used as a shared reader, as well as reading tracker bookmarks for all students involved
- entry into a prize draw for a visit/event with a freestyler and author
Materials will be delivered and access to Skills Academy microsite after 20 February.
There will be enough resources for a total of 20 students so that you can run the intervention with several small groups - that's just £15 per student.
- Early Bird price of £280 until 20 February - including one year's membership of the National Literacy Trust Network
- Existing National Literacy Trust Network members: Early Bird Price of £230 until 20 February
Network member discount: please enter the first three letters of your membership number, which you can find in your profile. Your membership must be current for the discount to apply.
Please note: materials will be available from 20 February. If you order before this date you will be charged/invoiced but will not receive your website login or programme materials until after 20 February.
*Participant, Premier League Reading Stars 2015
**Existing National Literacy Trust Network members receive a £50 discount. Price does not include renewal of existing memberships.
Use the first three letters of your membership number (found on your profile) to receive a £50 discount.
If you have any issues booking or if you have any questions please email us or call 020 7820 6263
Premier League Reading Stars, now part of Premier League Primary Stars, is our a reading intervention that is proven to raise reading levels for under-achieving pupils from years 5 and 6.
We are developing a range of activities for different sports and have a range of resources to use rugby as a motivator for literacy
Read about our research and rationale behind the link between sport and literacy.