Celebrating UEFA Euro 2016 in France and commemorating the Battle of the Somme Centenary
Supported by the FA
In 1916, many famous footballers from across the UK fought in the trenches of the First World War. The centenary of the Battle of the Somme coincided with UEFA Euro 2016, both in France, over the summer. We worked with children's author and football fanatic Tom Palmer to create an exciting set of literacy resources for students aged 7-13.
In combining this historic event with a major football tournament we hoped to inspire pupils to read, write and reflect.
- Euro 2016 and Battle of the Somme Literacy Toolkit plus additional resources
- Live sixteen-chapter story responding to the unfolding events of Euro 2016 and featuring a Somme centenary story line
- Daily writing activities during the tournament period inspired by both events
- A match day party pack produced by MOTD Magazine with ideas and worksheets for hosting your own party during Euro 2016
- 1966 and all that, a supplementary resource celebrating the 50 year anniversary of England's World Cup win.
The toolkit and story are freely available but you will need to join the National Literacy Trust Network to access the writing activities.
You can find more literacy resources and support on our Network pages.
To keep up to date with our latest news and new resources sign up to our newsletter.