McDonald’s UK to put books into the hands of families
11 Jan 2012
McDonald’s UK is to hand out around nine million popular children’s books with its Happy Meals, as part of a new partnership with publishing house HarperCollins. The promotion aims to get books into the hands of families and support mums and dads in reading with their children.
From Wednesday 11 January to Tuesday 7 February 2012, McDonald’s will offer its Happy Meals customers copies of the much-loved Mudpuddle Farm series of books by Michael Morpurgo, former children’s laureate and War Horse author.
The announcement follows research released by the National Literacy Trust in December which revealed that almost four million children in Britain – one in three – do not own a book.
Jonathan Douglas, Director of The National Literacy Trust, commented: “Our recent research showed that one in three children in this country don’t own a book, which is extremely concerning as there is a clear link between book ownership and children's future success in life. We are very supportive of McDonald’s decision to give families access to popular books, as its size and scale will be a huge leap towards encouraging more families to read together.”
Families will be able to take home copies of favourite titles including ‘Mossop’s Last Chance’ and ‘Martians at Mudpuddle Farm’. Each book comes with a finger puppet to help parents bring the stories to life for their children, and to encourage children of all reading abilities to use their imagination and create their own tales.
- Children’s on-screen reading overtakes reading in print
- Government to ban use of phrase “Every Child Matters”
- PLRS evaluation findings: 75% of pupils made at least six months’ progress in reading in just 10 weeks
- Malorie Blackman launches a school library makeover in Hackney
- 10 reasons why play is important
- Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall supports campaign to tackle low literacy in Middlesbrough in Media centre
- Department for Education funds new programme to support early language in Media centre
- London Literacy Champions evaluation report 2012 in Research reports
- Help! There’s a boy in my class! in Blogs by Jim Sells
- Talk To Your Baby and National Childbirth Trust Research Review in Research reports