Early Words Together
Early Words Together is a parental engagement and language development programme. Practitioners receive training and resources to help parents support their children's language development and school readiness. The programme is designed to benefit children aged two to five.
“We have learnt to communicate more and I treat him more as a little person who knows a lot rather than a little person who doesn’t know anything” - Parent
Did you know?
- Up to 40-50% of children are starting school without the language skills they need to progress
- Children eligible for free school meals are twice as likely to experience language difficulties
- What parents do is more important than who parents are
Early Words Together is based on the seven activities identified by the Effective Provision of Pre-School Education project (2004) as having a positive effect on a child's development.
- Increases children’s language acquisition and early literacy
- Supports school readiness for target children
- Equips parents with tools to help children progress by embedding daily communication, language and literacy activities between parent and child
- Works in partnership with parents and carers to engage them in their child’s learning
- Provides opportunities for settings to engage parents, support volunteering and develop networks of support
Early Words Together is considered Validated Local Practice by C4EO for early years. Following assessment, C4EO found that the programme has a clear description, strong rationale and strong evidence of impact and outcomes for children.
Benefits and ImpactRead about the benefits and impact of the programme.
ResourcesWe have a range of printed and electronic resources to support the delivery of Early Words Together (Network membership required).
Book now for our renowned early years conference, now in its 13th year
Find out a bit more about Early Words Together
Read more about the research behind the Early Words Together programme
Download the Early Words Together impact brochure to see the benefits of delivery and how you can get involved