Raising Standards in Reading Comprehension CPD
On average, reading comprehension approaches improve learning by an additional five months’ progress over the course of a school year. These approaches appear to be particularly effective for older readers (aged 8 or above) who are not making expected progress.
- Education Endowment Fund (EEF), Reading Comprehension Strategies, 2015
In response to the challenges presented by the Key Stage 2 SATS we have developed a new programme to help teachers develop strategies to improve reading comprehension.
This training will help you to:
- explore and evaluate current practice in the teaching of comprehension
- develop knowledge and understanding of the importance of reading response and the key elements of comprehension
- explore practical and creative approaches to develop pupils’ comprehension skills
- create an environment of collaborative study, professional dialogue and critical reflection
- develop tools and resources for effective whole school practice
- This is a 2-day course for primary teachers and literacy leaders
- The days are spread across two terms to allow time for action research.
- Two teachers including the literacy lead should participate
- A senior leader (e.g. head or deputy) is invited to the first session free of charge.
- The cost is £450 for the first participant per school and £300 for additional participants, which includes one year's free membership to the National Literacy Trust Network (worth £100) with logins for up to five teachers.*
*existing National Literacy Trust Network Members receive a £50 discount per school
E-mail email@example.com or telephone 020 7587 3061 to discuss your options. We welcome enquiries from education professionals engaged with local training clusters. Alternatively please complete our expression of interest form and we will get back to you.
Let us know where you are and what you're looking for and we will be in touch.
Here you can access all the materials to help support your project.
Our National Literacy Trust Network offers a huge range of resources to help you develop great provision in all areas of literacy