Improving Boys' Literacy - CPD for Key Stage 2
Boys’ underachievement in literacy is not inevitable. It is not simply a result of biological differences; the majority of boys achieve in literacy and are fluent readers.
- Boys' Reading Commission, 2012
Evidence from national data and recent research (including our own research) consistently shows that boys are at significant risk of underachievement in reading and writing
This training will help you to:
- understand the evidence in this area and the factors underpinning success
- develop a profile based on the characteristics and achievement of boys in their school
- develop an action plan with strategies learned from action research
- sow the seeds for a learning culture based on what works for all learners
- implement an approach which reaches beyond the classroom
As always, the time to reflect on your practice, discuss ideas with colleagues, try things out in school and then evaluate is invaluable and has a huge effect on day to day practice. - teacher, Barnet, Day 3
- The course is available in a 3 day or 2 day version
- The days are spread across two terms to allow time for action research.
- To promote collaborative practice, two teachers including the literacy lead should attend.
- A senior leader (e.g. head or deputy) is invited to the first session free of charge.
- The cost is £650 (3-day) or £450 (2 day) per person, including one year's free membership to the National Literacy Trust Network (worth £100) with logins for up to five teachers.*
*existing National Literacy Trust Network Members receive a £100 discount per school for the 3 day course and £50 off per school for the 2 day course.
Lots of pedagogical elements which make us sound more credible when delivering to staff - teacher, day 2
Please fill in our expression of interest form, e-mail email@example.com or telephone 020 7587 3061 to discuss your options. We welcome enquiries from education professionals engaged with local training clusters.
If you would you like to find out more about this CPD, let us know
Here you will find the resources you need to support your project. You will need your Network login to access this page.
PLRS Cymru Boys' Literacy CPD participants can access their resources here using the password provided.