New workshop: Literacy Requirements of the New GCSE Specifications
The new GCSE specifications place greater demands on pupils' literacy skills. There are specific requirements across all subjects, which often present a challenge to non -specialists.
Objectives of this workshop:
- Understand how to analyse the literacy demands of your own subject
- Try out key strategies for improving reading comprehension and extended writing in curriculum areas
Outcomes of this workshop:
- Practice writing and modelling a longer GCSE answer
- Annotate and explain a piece of GCSE writing to highlight typical language features
- Be able to transform informal, speech–like writing to a more formal written style
Some examples of these new requirements:
- Computer Science - Reading: command verbs - shade, given reasons for, state, suggest
- Leisure and Tourism - Writing: discourse markers to signpost sequence of ideas
- History - Reading: Inferential reading and language analysis
- Music - Writing: Extended written answers to inform, describe and explain
Price at workshops
Half Day: £100 per person, including a £25 discount off a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust Network. The cost for existing members is £75.
Full Day: £175 per person, including a £25 discount off a year's membership of the National Literacy Trust Network. The cost for existing members is £150.
We also offer a free place to any school that hosts the workshop - enquire now
We offer a whole-school INSET starting from £2000 including membership of the National Literacy Trust Network - ideal to build confidence for all staff. Contact Emily on email@example.com or call 020 7587 3067 for bookings and for more information.
24 February 2017
Thorpe St Andrew School
28 February 2017
Dormers Wells High School
17 March 2017
30 March 2017
Selby High School
Participants' area: here you will find the resources to support your work. You will need the username and password you were sent to access this page
If you would like to know more about this workshop, let us know