Over the Line 2016
During the first three weeks of Euro 2016 leading up to the commemoration of the Battle of the Somme on 1 July, the National Literacy Trust published an original children’s story in 16 chapters to be read aloud in schools and homes to pupils aged between seven and 13. It was called Over the Line 2016.
The story follows Khalid and Grace, two children who are studying the Battle of the Somme in advance of a Battlefield Tour to the area with their school in the last week of June. The daily chapters responded to the events of the previous day at Euro 2016, such as the main stories that the broadcast and print media were covering from the tournament, controversies on and off the pitch, key games and the results for England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
We hope you've enjoyed reading our live story. We're keen to hear how you've used the story, plus our additional Euro 2016 and Battle of the Somme activities, in your school and would love for you to email us some photos! Send your feedback to email@example.com or call 020 7820 6261. To keep up to date with our latest news and new resources sign up to our newsletter.
- Monday 4 July - Chapter 16 (the final chapter!)
- Friday 1 July - Chapter 15
- Thursday 30 June - Chapter 14
- Wednesday 29 June - Chapter 13
- Tuesday 28 June - Chapter 12
- Monday 27 June - Chapter 11
- Friday 24 June - Chapter 10
- Thursday 23 June - Chapter 9
- Wednesday 22 June - Chapter 8 - vote on who you think will play England on Monday!
- Tuesday 21 June - Chapter 7
- Monday 20 June - Chapter 6
- Friday 17 June - Chapter 5
- Thursday 16 June - Chapter 4 - vote on what happens next!
- Wednesday 15 June - Chapter 3
- Tuesday 14 June - Chapter 2
- Monday 13 June - Chapter 1 with additional paragraph