Take part in our research
Annual schools literacy survey
Would you like to know what your pupils think about literacy - their own skills as well as the importance of these skills to their later lives?
Now in its fifth year, our annual literacy survey of primary and secondary school pupils collects data about attitudes and behaviour (and attainment where schools are willing to share data) in relation to reading, writing and communication.
Schools that take part receive their own individual school report, and can compare their data against our national findings.
This year's survey will take place between 10 November and 12 December. Find out more
Impact of ebooks research project
We are looking for 100 primary and secondary schools to take part in our exciting new research from September 2014, examining the impact of ebooks on children’s and young people’s reading motivation and reading attainment.
An increasing number of schools are using ebooks and other technology to support the literacy needs of their pupils and increase their reading experience. This is often introduced intuitively within schools. However, little systematic evidence has been collected about the impact of ebooks within the school context, and this is something that we want to address over the next 12 months.
Our research is well developed and respected both nationally and internationally. Both our research and programmes recognise the importance of technology as a tool for teaching literacy skills, and we are keen to explore this in greater detail.
We will be working with RM Books and using its ebook platform, which enables teachers to work on top of ebooks and set mid-book quizzes. RM Books is the leading ebook platform, already established within thousands of primary and secondary schools within the UK.
Other than taking part in the first large UK study into the impact of ebooks on the reading motivation and skills of pupils, what is in it for you?
- You will receive two school-specific reports that outline your pupils’ enjoyment of reading, their reading habits and what they think about reading - one at the beginning of the project and one at the end. This will give you invaluable insight into the views of your pupils. In the past, schools have used this information to inform their literacy strategy, as supporting evidence for Ofsted and to review their current literacy provision.
- You will also receive a copy of the study’s findings in October 2015, which you can use to understand how to get the most benefit from ebooks in your school.
- You will have regular contact and support from our Research Manager during this study.
- We will provide ideas on the many different ways you could use RM Books during your year to help your students improve their reading.
- You will also receive a discount of 25% on books for your students for use in this study.
What do you need to do?
- We will require a named person in your school to lead your participation in this study for one year.
- You will need to sign up for a free ebook account with RM Books, if you aren’t already using it.
- You will encourage your students to read the ebooks (you can see whether they are reading within the usage reporting in RM Books).
- Participating pupils will need to complete two online attitudinal surveys during the project year. One survey will be conducted in September/October; the other towards the end of the summer term (or the end of term, depending on how you decide to use the platform within your school). This will give us (and you) invaluable insight into pupils’ reading habits over the course of the project.
- Since establishing the link with reading skills is a central part of our project, you must also agree to share pupils’ attainment data (Accelerated Reader, Star Reader etc) and students’ usage data. Data will be anonymised and stored securely, and will not be shared with anyone else.
- If you haven’t used RM Books before, you will need to spend some money on ebook rentals during the year to make enough books available for your students. However, a 25% discount will be provided by RM Books (so, for example, £500 worth of ebook rentals will cost you £375). For budgetary purposes, please expect to reserve at least £375 for this study.
Register your interest in participating in this study and we will get in touch with you. If you have any questions or would like more information, email Christina Clark, Head of Research, at email@example.com.