Advanced search

Browse your search results by sector:

Browse by audience:

 

Literacy news

Plans to scrap GCSEs in key subjects are being abandoned by the Government

7 Feb 2013

The reversal was announced by the education secretary in the Commons, alongside curriculum changes.

Michael Gove said plans for the new exams had been "a bridge too far".

He had wanted to bring in what he said were more rigorous exams in some core subjects from 2015, but faced criticism from MPs and teachers.

The change means plans for the new qualification, announced in September, are being shelved, while GCSEs are retained, despite having been previously condemned by the education secretary.

It comes after a report by the Commons education committee which said the changes would mean "too much, too fast" and could threaten exam quality.

The new English Baccalaureate Certificate was billed by the Government as having a tougher syllabus, with exams at the end of the course in a return to an O-level style traditional qualification.

Read more at BBC Education.

Register for email updates.

Return to literacy news

 
  • Join our fun run Run, walk or jog in our first ever Where’s Wally? fun run on Sunday 24 March 2013. Find out more
  • Parents and carers Give your child the best possible foundation in speech, writing and reading skills with Words for Life. Go to Words for Life
  • Join our network We provide inspiration, resources and support to transform literacy for children and young people. Find out more
  • Resources Our range of resources makes our programmes available to all schools for the first time. Find out more
 

The National Literacy Trust is a registered charity no. 1116260 and a company limited by guarantee no. 5836486 registered in England and Wales and a registered charity in Scotland no. SCO42944.
Registered address: 68 South Lambeth Road, London SW8 1RL.