Curriculum changes pushed back to 2014
19 Dec 2011
The overhaul of the National Curriculum in England is to be delayed by a year, the education secretary has confirmed.
A written statement on Monday says the review of core subjects will now be implemented in Autumn 2014.
Michael Gove said:
The longer timescale will allow for further debate with everyone interested in creating a genuinely world-class education system.
The pushed-back timetable means that instead of introducing changes for English, maths, science and PE in 2013, the revised curriculums for all subjects will be introduced in 2014.
One area the Framework for the National Curriculum examines is the benefits of supportinging oral language. The report states that there is evidence of a connection between oral development, cognitive development and educational attainment.
Learn how to teach English creatively in the new curriculum with our brand new Teaching English conference.
Be inspired and learn effective classroom practice from Pie Corbett in York, Birmingham and London this February. It will show you everything you need to implement Talk for Writing effectively within the new English curriculum in your school, as well as how to integrate spelling, vocabulary and grammar into the Talk for Writing approach.
January sale now on - Book before 15 January for a 20% discount on all places
- 10 reasons why play is important
- National Literacy Trust research shows one boy in three never or rarely picks up a pen outside class
- Technology engages boys and poorer children to read for longer
- Government to ban use of phrase “Every Child Matters”
- Reading for pleasure during childhood creates long-term vocabulary benefits, new study shows
- Five things adults can do to get kids reading for pleasure during the World Cup in Blogs by Tom Palmer
- The Greatest Hits of the National Literacy Trust Network in Blogs by Susie Musgrove
- Why the World Cup draw matters to schools in Blogs by Tom Palmer
- "Volunteering on Words for Work is a must" says Amanda Delaney, KPMG volunteer in Blogs by Guest blogger
- Tottenham Hotspur Foundation hosts event to kick-start children’s reading in Media centre