Events - January 2017
Start time: 09.30
End time: 15.30
Cost: £175.00, Additional tickets: £125.00
Enfield Grammar School
Online registration has closed.
Understanding the Literacy Requirements of the New GCSE Curriculum - Enfield
The new GCSE specifications place greater demands on pupils' literacy skills. There are specific requirements across all subjects, which often present a challenge to non -specialists.
Objectives of this workshop:
- Understand how to analyse the literacy demands of your own subject
- Try out key strategies for improving reading comprehension and extended writing in curriculum areas
Outcomes of this workshop:
- Practice writing and modelling a longer GCSE answer
- Annotate and explain a piece of GCSE writing to highlight typical language features
- Be able to transform informal, speech–like writing to a more formal written style
Some examples of these new requirements:
- Computer Science - Reading: command verbs - shade, given reasons for, state, suggest
- Leisure and Tourism - Writing: discourse markers to signpost sequence of ideas
- History - Reading: Inferential reading and language analysis
- Music - Writing: Extended written answers to inform, describe and explain
Who should attend? Literacy leaders and subject teachers keen to develop literacy provision in their subjects and ensure their pupils aren't left behind. The more staff that attend from your school, the more effective the workshop will be, so we offer a discount on additional tickets.
What should I bring? Please come prepared with your scheme of work, or a scheme of work from another subject if you are a literacy leader.
Tickets to this workshop also include a £25 discount on membership of the National Literacy Trust Network. Existing members receive a £25 discount per school. If you are a Network member and have not received a discount code please contact email@example.com.