Fellow charity Booktrust announces funding for all English bookgifting programmes to be cut by 100%
Posted by Jonathan Douglas
We are very disappointed to hear that central funding for the book gifting initiatives of fellow literacy charity Booktrust has been discontinued.
As an independent charity working to improve literacy levels in the UK ourselves, we know the incredible impact that book gifting programmes can have on the lives of the children and families we work with. Low levels of literacy are linked to poverty, reduced opportunities and unemployment, and research has shown that, regardless of their family’s socio-economic status, children who read for pleasure do better at school and have better life chances than those who don’t. Booktrust’s Bookstart programme in particular has been extremely effective in bringing together health, early years and libraries to focus on literacy. While the Booktime and Booked Up programmes have been extremely effective in supporting children’s motivation to read and literacy attainment at key points in their school life. We hope their work will be able to continue in some form.
You can read the official Booktrust press statement here.
- Premier League Reading Stars launches in Wales in Literacy news by Liam Johnson
- Early years educators online focus group – register to take part in Literacy news by Sam Brookes
- Children’s enjoyment of reading has increased for the first time in eight years in Literacy news by Helena Agustsson
- Iconic books hit the streets of London…Books about Town is here for the summer in Literacy news by Helena Agustsson
- Outstanding Literacy Leadership: a new CPD programme for primary schools in Literacy news by Sam Brookes
Blogs by the same author
- Join our ambitious campaign to get all children reading well by 2025 in Blogs by Jonathan Douglas
- Will the Olympic Games inspire a nation of readers? in Blogs by Jonathan Douglas
- Literacy in unexpected places in Blogs by Jonathan Douglas
- Could do better: latest overview of adult literacy in the UK in Blogs by Jonathan Douglas
- New political group to focus on literacy in Blogs by Jonathan Douglas